Miami – from www.sun-sentinel.com – Pro Football Hall of Famer Lawrence Taylor is being sued over the crash last year in which he was charged with leaving the scene of an accident, WFOR-Ch. 4 reports.
Attorneys for the other driver involved in the wreck filed the suit Wednesday, saying Taylor was negligent the night of the crash. They are seeking damages in excess of $15,000, according to the news station.
The crash happened Nov. 8.
Police said Taylor, who lives in Pembroke Pines, struck a van as he was driving on the Palmetto Expressway near 103rd Street. Taylor drove his 2009 Cadillac Escalade about two miles on the axle before pulling off the road, authorities said, and when police spotted him, he was standing outside the SUV talking on his cell phone. He told police that he thought he had hit a guardrail.
The van’s driver, Manuel Villari Castillo, 51, of Hialeah Gardens, was not seriously injured, police said at the time.
Taylor is awaiting trial in the case and also is dealing with other legal trouble in New York. Authorities there earlier this month arrested him on charges he paid to have sex with a 15-year-old girl.