Porn News

DOJ Fucking Up on Terror

WASHINGTON – In a dramatic reversal on the eve of President Bush’s nomination acceptance, the Justice Department acknowledged its original prosecution of a suspected terror cell in Detroit was filled with a “pattern of mistakes and oversights” that warrant the dismissal of the convictions.

In a 60-page memo that harshly criticizes its own prosecutors’ work, the department told U.S. District Judge Gerald Rosen on Tuesday night it supports the Detroit defendants’ request for a new trial and would no longer pursue terrorism charges against them. The defendants at most would only face fraud charges at a new trial.

The Justice Department is “concurring in the defendants’ motions for a new trial” and asks the court to dismiss the first count of the original indictment charging the defendants with material support of terrorism, the government’s filing said.

The department’s decision came after a monthslong internal investigation uncovered several pieces of evidence that prosecutors failed to turn over to defense lawyers before the trial last year. The probe exposed deep differences within the government over the course of the case and the quality of the prosecution’s evidence.

The internal investigation of prosecutorial misconduct found enough problems that there is “no reasonable prospect of winning,” the government conceded, drawing back from a case once hailed by the Bush administration as a major victory in the war on terror.

“In its best light, the record would show that the prosecution committed a pattern of mistakes and oversights that deprived the defendants of discoverable evidence (including impeachment material) and created a record filled with misleading inferences that such material did not exist,” Justice told the court.

The decision was hailed by lawyers for the Detroit men who were convicted last year.

“We’re extremely grateful,” William Swor, lawyer for defendant Abdel-Ilah Elmardoudi, said Wednesday. “It’s a major victory.”

Swor said the dropping of the terrorism charges leaves the government with “a garden-variety document case” against his client. “Our work is just beginning.”

202 Views

Related Posts

Miami Spice: The 2024 XBIZ Creator Awards Show Turns Up the Heat

MIAMI — Adult creators’ biggest night relocated on Wednesday evening to the party epicenter of Miami.The 2024 edition of the XBIZ Creator Awards, presented by Fansly, honored the best and shiningest creators in the industry at the city’s hottest, sultriest…

MYLF Drops 7 New Scenes

May 17, 2024 4:03 PM PDTMIAMI — MYLF has released seven new scenes this week starring Bunny Madison, Shay Sights, Spencer Scott, and others. First, Bad Milfs premieres “The House Bunny Part 2: Bunnies at Play” with Madison and Maya Woulfe, Jade…

Kazumi Does 1st Anal, DP for Vixen Media Group

LOS ANGELES — Kazumi has performed her first anal and her first DP alongside Isiah Maxwell and Hollywood Cash for Vixen Media Group (VMG) studio imprint Blacked Raw. Directed by Derek Dozer, the scene features Kazumi and Cash cruising "around…

Kazumi Performs 1st Anal & D.P. in Blacked Raw Scene ‘Beast Mode’

Fans will be treated next Monday, May 20, to the first-ever anal and double-penetration encounters of 2024 AVN Awards co-host Kazumi's career.

Maximo Garcia Takes on 16 Girls in Reverse Gangbang

It took Maximo Garcia a month to plan the most viral scene of his career—a 16-girl reverse gangbang in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.